Delivering the keynote address, Most Rev. Gabriel Charles Palmer-Buckle, the Metropolitan Archbishop of Accra who was also the first Bishop of Koforidua Diocese, said the creation of the Koforidua diocese was officially announced on November 21, 1991 by the then Pope John Paul II. Reflecting on the Theme, Archbishop Palmer Buckle said New Evangelisation requires three major things namely:
• Proclamation of the Word
• Daikonia or service in witness to the faith.
Under Proclamation of the Gospel, the Archbishop spoke about the importance of the new evangelization which has been the view on the eyes of the church for some years now.
New Evangalization means preaching the Old Word of God in a new way. It must entails or be seen in the following:
• It must be Christ centred that is Christo- Centric
• It is to ginger Priests and religious.
• It is to those who have heard about Christ and have los their faith and also to strengthen already Catholics.
• Not to be diverted at only individuals but to all families, customs and cultures.
• It is the process of Christianization of people to live Christ Life.
• A call for Missionary Spirit or Spirituality.
Proclamation of the Gospel is to be in this three forms;
• To those who have not heard of the Word at all (primary)
• To those who have left due to tribulations
• To our own Catholics who have shallow faith or in dilemma.
On the second part which is the Catechism. Catechism is to be given to the Faithful who are leaving the Church. Even those in positions are dropping in the face of economic, political and social issues. Catholic Catechesis are supposed to be engaged by those an all aspects of life. It should involve teachers, nurses, politicians, and others. Firm faith foundations are to be performed through Catechism.
On the third aspects that is Diakonia. The services we render in our Catholic Institutions are to renew our faith in God. Also, through our services like the schools, hospitals, other work places, we can use of life to these people and even our lives are to be different from those who are not Catholics in Serving the Communities.
To conclude his reflection on the theme for the anniversary, Most Rev. Palmer Buckle re-echoed what Jesus said in Mat 5:13-15, that we are to be the light and the salt of the world and all that we do are to give glory to God. He also, repeated the words of St. Augustine, to celebrate what we become and become what we celebrate.
On Sunday the thanksgiving Mass was presided over by the Apostolic Nuncio to Ghana, Most Rev. Jean Marie Speich and was con-celebrated by Most Rev. Joseph Afrifah-Agyekum, Bishop of Koforidua. Other con-celebrant Bishops were:
• Most Rev. Gabriel Charles Palmer- Buckle (Archbishop of the Accra Archdiocese)
• Most Rev. Bonaventure John Kwoffie (Bishop of Sekondi-Takoradi Diocese)
• Most Rev. Gabriel Kumordzi (Bishop of Keta-Akatsi and DOnkorkrom Vicariate)
• Most Rev. Emmanuel Fianu (Bishop of Ho)
A host of priests from Koforidua Diocese and other Dioceses in Ghana also con-celebrated at the Thanksgiving Mass!
The whole programme came to an end on Sunday 26th November, 2017 at 1:22pm. In all it was a memorable and splendid celebration.